Problems with Fedora core 3

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Wed Jan 26 17:45:25 UTC 2005

PM> After a lot of trial and error, We discovered that if we use the
PM> hdlist and hdlist2 files directly off the Fedora CD's, the install
PM> continues and works correctly rather than the ones we manually
PM> generate using genhdlist.

You know, I just had a problem like that this morning.  I keep an
updated install tree and this had been working fine until I integrated
a recent batch of updates; after that the installer would simply die
after the "Preparing RPM Transaction" dialog had completed.  Going
back to the stock set of packages and hdlists from the DVD fixed the
problem.

I usually run genhdlist without messing with pkgorder because at least
for x86 trees it's not needed.  (It's required for FC2-x86_64 to get
the glibc install ordering correct.)  But I went ahead and ran it, at
which point it spewed a bunch of messages about dependency loops.
After that, everything installed fine.

Here's how I call genhdlist/pkgorder from the python script that keeps
my tree updates:

os.system("/usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/genhdlist --productpath Fedora %s/../.." % updated_release_dir)
os.system("PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib/anaconda /usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/pkgorder %s/../.. i386 Fedora > pkgorder" % updated_release_dir)
os.system("/usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/genhdlist --productpath Fedora --fileorder pkgorder %s/../.." % updated_release_dir)

which is basically, genhdlist once, then pkgorder, then genhdlist
again with the generated order file.  Install the anaconda package to
get pkgorder.

Maybe it will work for you.

 - J<