Kickstart Installs of FC2

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Sat Jun 18 19:08:50 UTC 2005

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, MW Mike Weiner (5028) wrote:

>I am trying to setup a PXE/Kickstart box so that I can do some
>unattended installs remotely.
[snip]

>Which also seems to work, but what isnt working properly is the ks=nfs
>statement.

My favourite 3 debugging questions:
- What did you do?
- What happened?
- What do you think should happen?

You've gone into plenty of detail for #1, but I can't see any report of
an actual problem.

>I can see the server actually loading the bootloader and I can see this
>in the messages log now:
>
>Jun 16 14:11:48 yum1 rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from
>10.10.232.80:750 for /repo/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os (/repo)

Then it looks like the kickstart file has been found and read
successfully. Remember that "ks=nfs" is only instructing anaconda to
fetch the kickstart file and second stage over NFS; the kickstart file
itself can specify a different source for the RPMs.

>Now, when I rebooted this test box this morning, it grabs an IP from
>the dhcp server, is able to receive and load the pxelinux bootloader,
>but in the virtual console 3 I see the following after it runs through
>and loads the kernel:
>
>* NFS install method detected will use Rhupdates/

That's a way of extending/fixing anaconda with patches. Can be ignored.

[snip]
>* Running kickstart %pre scripts
>* All kickstart %pre scripts have been run
>
>Which confuses me a little bit as I don't quite understand where its
>getting the nfs methof pointing to Rhupdates and some of the other
>stuff.

OK. All looks fine so far - does it hang at this point?

Cheers,
Phil