FC4 kickstart broken?

Brandon Ooi brandono at berkeley.edu
Thu Jun 23 18:11:55 UTC 2005

Hi guys,

I was hoping to shed some light on FC4's kickstart (anaconda). Graphical
installs work great but the Fedora team seems to be leaving the server
guys behind.

My kickstart file is fairly basic. Because of our high-load server
environment, we try to trim down our builds and remove things a server
should never use (bluetooth, cups, wireless tools... etc...etc...). I
usually do this in the %packages  section with --resolvedeps.

Simplified example:

%package --resolvedeps
@ editors
kernel-smp
gcc
libpng-devel
-bluez-utils          <== breakage occurs here
-bluez-hcidump

This kickstart file worked perfectly in FC3.  In FC4, when you try to
actually remove a package the installer crashes with an "unhandled
exception" telling me to report this as a bug. Something about a key
error in kickstart.py?

If you comment out all the package removals, it "works." By works, i
mean it seems to install all the packages, but the resulting
anaconda-ks.cfg file in /root does not have anything meaningful in the
%package section. It almost seems like package selection in the
kickstart files is not supported anymore? I have not found a similar bug
on bugzilla which makes me wonder if something changed and I'm not
aware? if not I will file a bugzilla bug. Doing a graphical install of
FC4 on all our machines would take forever!

Any help would be appreciated :)

Brandon Ooi