When and where is /dev/cdrom created?

Robinson, Andrew W. andrew.w.robinson at mms.gov
Fri Mar 11 15:42:41 UTC 2005

Could someone tell me when and where the link /dev/cdrom is created by
the system?

As part of my kickstart installation of a RHEL3 system, I want to create
the link /dev/dvd. Experimenting on my existing system, I found I could
point it to the same dev file that the link /dev/cdrom points to:

Ln  -s $( ls -l /dev/cdrom | sed 's/^.*-> //' ) /dev/dvd

I put this command in the %post section of my kickstart file. If failed
however, apparently because the link /dev/cdrom did not yet exist. When
I log in the first time after the installation has completed, the link
/dev/cdrom does exist. So somewhere in the boot process the system
creates the link. I've poked around the system, but haven't found where.

One approach to my problem might be to create an initrc script with a
high chkconfig number that runs the above command late in the boot
sequence. But that seems like a sledgehammer approach. If I knew when in
the boot sequence /dev/cdrom was created and by what software, I am
hoping to craft a more elegant solution.

So, anyone know where /dev/cdrom is created?

Thanks!

Andrew Robinson