Kickstart on CD

Matthew Burling matthewb at accelrys.com
Thu Nov 17 09:48:37 UTC 2005

Prasanna,

Put the ks.cfg file in the root of the CD with folder structure thus:

\---cd_root                             .discinfo, training-ks-ata.cfg,
training-ks-scsi.cfg

    |---isolinux                        boot.msg, isolinux.bin,
isolinux.cfg

    \---RedHat

        |---base

        \---RPMS

Edit the isolinux.cfg file:
vi /cd_root/isolinux/isolinux.cfg

default hdd
prompt 1
timeout 600
display boot.msg
F1 boot.msg
F2 options.msg
F3 general.msg
F4 param.msg
F5 rescue.msg
F7 snake.msg
label linux
  kernel vmlinuz
  append initrd=initrd.img
label text
  kernel vmlinuz
  append initrd=initrd.img text
label expert
  kernel vmlinuz
  append expert initrd=initrd.img
label ks
  kernel vmlinuz
  append ks initrd=initrd.img
label lowres
  kernel vmlinuz
  append initrd=initrd.img lowres
label training-ata
  kernel vmlinuz
  append ks=cdrom:/training-ks-ata.cfg initrd=initrd.img
label training-scsi
  kernel vmlinuz
  append ks=cdrom:/training-ks-scsi.cfg initrd=initrd.img
label hdd
  localboot 0x80

Run this command to make the iso:

mkisofs -o ~/isos/training.iso -r -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c
isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -R -J
-v -T /cd_root/

Hope this helps.

Matthew

Prasanna Ponnada <prasanna at aol.net>
Sent by: kickstart-list-bounces at redhat.com
17/11/2005 05:57
Please respond to
Discussion list about Kickstart <kickstart-list at redhat.com>

Discussion list about Kickstart <kickstart-list at redhat.com>
cc

Subject
Kickstart on CD

I am trying to create a customized minimal linux CD by placing ks.cfg in
the isolinux directory of my CD.
This way, I am not making use of the dosutils directory.
However, during the boot process, it fails to find the kickstart file on
my CD and the installation halts.
On my other tty, I see the message "Searching for file on path
/tmp/mnt//ks.cfg".

Has anyone encountered the above issue before? Any help/pointers would
be greatly appreciated. I am trying
create the CD using RHEL 4.0 (base version with no updates) for x86_64.
I am making use of the below mentioned URL to create my customized
minimal Linux CD.
http://fedoranews.org/blog/?p=650

Please find the extract of my isolinux.cfg file in the isolinux
directory below:
-bash-2.05b$ cat isolinux.cfg
default myks
prompt 1
timeout 0
display snake.msg
label myks
  kernel vmlinuz
  append ks=cdrom initrd=initrd.img text ramdisk_size=8192

thanks
Prasanna

Click on the link below to report this email as spam
https://www.mailcontrol.com/sr/9AKDG7w5T29b4HioalM3+5S2bkvKt0nNtx9Sgw96hI32VykUMwpLcC3DpqLhQRIA1qVHNYC+tzkrcl7KHtjvyuPpkaIwrY3c8QLsTtNgk+ZQwnSYlMwDDYWuq5VunjL0awlFgUYs33mfCUkP+tSvh!B!3hWSXYFPfRis3bIbPGG9zYtTVZAGyiG8p!XcxADI5A6kWRyxnr!vvWtpQJjvFlG7XMSEvIfj