Core includes Dialup?!?

Brian Long brilong at cisco.com
Wed Oct 5 15:12:02 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 09:25 -0500, Michael Shuler wrote:
> Brian Long wrote:
> > What is the Red Hat reason for including the Dialup comps group in Core?
> > This means any basic install has crap like wvdial, ppp, etc.  I
> > explicitly have to exclude a lot of these packages that shouldn't be on
> > any profiles except mobile laptops.
>
> Just to clarify my agreement - ppp, etc., is only one example.  A "Core"
> install, in my opinion, should be the bare minimum for a networked
> server with remote SSH access.  That's it.
>
> We maintain minimal kickstarts with around a 500M footprint, and it does
> require a large amount of hacking to get it down to a proper core of
> needed packages, in spite of the "mandatory" and "required" dictations.

Yup, Red Hat includes redhat-lsb, which requires a ton of non-essential
stuff, to ensure LSB compatibility out-of-the-box.  However, I don't
believe redhat-lsb requires ppp, pppoe or wvdial.  :)

/Brian/

--
       Brian Long                      |         |           |
       IT Data Center Systems          |       .|||.       .|||.