Kickstart fails

Brian Long brilong at cisco.com
Mon Oct 10 14:14:14 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-08 at 00:16 -0400, Tom Diehl wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 Elizabeth.Brosch at thomson.com wrote:
>
> > I just changed the pxeconfig file - ksdevice eth3.  I finally received
> > an IP addr and a mountd request!  But then the installer goes looking
> > for eth0 network info and fails there.
>
> Save yourself a bunch pf pain in the future use ksdevice=link in the pxe config
> file or on the command line. That way it will use whatever nic has a link.
> Worst case is you boot once and the device in the ks.cfg file is wrong but
> anaconda will tell you that, so you can fix the cfg file.

We've started using ksdevice=<MAC ADDRESS> on our new PxeLinux-based
installations.  We have servers with public and private networks, so
ksdevice=link will not always work (it might try to kickstart on a
private network with no DHCP server, no router, etc).

/Brian/

--
       Brian Long                      |         |           |
       IT Data Center Systems          |       .|||.       .|||.