kickstart RH8 using Vanilla Kernel.Org

Dan Carpenter error27 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 21:08:34 UTC 2005

I haven't tried this and this is written freehand so it may not work.

So you've compiled your kernel.org kernel and you have a vmlinuz and
some modules.  Let's say the kernel version is 2.4.8.

cp /mnt/cdrom/isolinux/initrd initrd.orig
zcat initrd.orig > foo
mkdir bar
mount -o loop foo bar
mkdir 2.4.8/
find  /lib/modules/2.4.8/ -name \*.o -exec mv \{\} 2.4.8/ \;
find 2.4.8 | cpio -co | gzip -9 > bar/modules/modules.cgz
umount bar
gzip foo
mv foo.gz intrd-2.4.8.img
mv /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.8 .