switching off IPv6?

Christian.Rohrmeier at SCHERING.DE Christian.Rohrmeier at SCHERING.DE
Tue Sep 27 08:55:20 UTC 2005

Hi Klaus,

here is how I deal with it in my %pre script:

# Turn off IPV6 #
# In /etc/sysconfig/network
echo "NETWORKING_IPV6=no" >> /mnt/sysimage/etc/sysconfig/network
# In /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
echo "IPV6INIT=no" >>
/mnt/sysimage/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
echo "IPV6INIT=no" >>
/mnt/sysimage/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
# And because the above doesn't work because of a bug, we force it in
# /etc/modprobe.conf as well.
echo "alias net-pf-10 off" >> /mnt/sysimage/etc/modprobe.conf

As noted in the comments, there is a bug in the networking scripts: 1) IPv6
shouldn't be turned on by default in the first place, 2) the options to
turn off IPv6 explicitly are ignored. The addition to modprobe.conf is
actually what works. It requires a reboot to take effect, since, as you
noted, you can't remove the modules once they are in use.

Cheers,

Christian

_________________
Christian Rohrmeier
Schering AG
Corporate IT - Infrastructure and Services
Computer Systems and Operations
System Administration - Research and Development
Tel +49 30 468 15794
Fax +49 30 468 95794

             Klaus Steden
             <klaus.steden at tho
             mson.net>                                                  To
             Sent by:                  Discussion list about Kickstart
             kickstart-list-bo         <kickstart-list at redhat.com>
             unces at redhat.com                                           cc

                                                                   Subject
             27.09.2005 05:53          switching off IPv6?

             Please respond to
              Discussion list
              about Kickstart
             <kickstart-list at r
                edhat.com>

Is there a quick way to switch -off- IPv6 in Kickstart? By the time I've
got a
system fully configured, it gets loaded by default and marked as 'in use'
if I
try to rmmod (I assume simply adding an IPv6 address to a NIC makes it
so?).

Any suggestions are welcome.

Klaus