error handling in %post

Ed Brown ebrown at lanl.gov
Thu Aug 31 14:28:22 UTC 2006

Coe, Colin C. wrote:
> Because the INSTALLER kernel is different to the INSTALLED kernel.  Its
> compiled with different options (especially evident under EL4) and it
> has different modules.  chroot ain't everything...

And even with a different kernel, when is this is a reason not to do
post install configuration in %post?  The only situation that I can
think of is if you have to install third party software that involves
building a kernel module, in which case there needs to be a mechanism
to update the module after every kernel change anyway.

I'm not saying that installing a ks_post.sh script that runs from
/etc/rc.d/rc.local after rebooting and then cleans up after itself is
a bad idea: it's a GOOD solution to the situation that exists now, a
solution that many have chosen, because doing things in %post is
awkward and problematic.  A 'debug mode' or error-handling framework
for %pre and %post scripts like I'm suggesting, would allow for far
easier development, and a more robust recovery capability, and allow
%post to be more fully utilized for what is was intended for, instead
of resorting to post-post scripts.

-Ed