kickstart + VNC + virtual terminal

braintunic at gmail.com braintunic at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 20:24:22 UTC 2006

Hi,

Our kickstart install method (with RHEL3U5) involves running pre-install
and post-install scripts using a virtual terminal tty6, as follows:

| %pre --interpreter /bin/sh
| chvt 6
| bash /mnt/source/install/ks_pre </dev/tty6 >/dev/tty6 2>&1
| chvt 1
|
| %post --nochroot --interpreter /bin/sh
| chvt 6
| bash /mnt/source/install/ks_post </dev/tty6 >/dev/tty6 2>&1
| chvt 1

Both pre-install and post-install parts are interactive, requesting some
data (but continuing on no-input timeout, with a value by default).

Everything works OK...
Now, I would like to perform a remote installation via VNC.
Well, so, I add the "vnc" boot-time option and it begins to work, but...

All the time while pre-install runs I see only the "initial" installation
screen on my VNC client, I can't see the progress of the pre-install.
Then, when the pre-install finishes, I see the nice "Installing Packages"
graphical progress on the VNC client.
Then, when post-install starts, the picture is stuck and I have no way
to see the progress of the post-install.

Could anybody suggest a way to get the pre-install and post-install
parts available from a VNC client?
Any other way to have a completely remote installation with interactive
pre-install and post-install parts?

Thanks.
Bram