Issues bringing up wireless in %post script

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Mon Jun 12 20:38:06 UTC 2006

Michael Shuler wrote:
> On 06/12/06 13:14, Philip Prindeville wrote:
>> Yes, I am. "uname -r" done inside the %post script says:
>> 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5z
>>
>> That's the kernel in the FC5 .iso images.
>
> `uname -r` reports the same version for the running installer kernel
> as the rpm in the repository which you are installing to the disk.  OK.

Alright, so the installer kernel tells me it's 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.

The kernel I'll boot into on reboot is 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.

The modules that I'm trying to load up are those for 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.

Where is the incompatibility?

>>> You aren't running that kernel until after your reboot.
> Shabazian, Chip wrote:
>
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> > Philip Prindeville wrote:
>>> Any idea why this is happening?
>
> You (still) aren't running the kernel that you installed to the disk,
> along with the firmware package, regardless of the fact that the
> installer kernel happens to be the same version.

Ok, so...  How do they differ?  There is apparently module support in the
installer kernel.

>> Clues?
>
> Sure, build your own custom installer image, or set up wireless after
> reboot, and try not to be argumentative with people trying to help you
> out.

I wasn't aware that I was being argumentative.

I understood him to say that they were different versions of the kernel...
But they all seem to have the same versioning label.

If they differ, it's not by version number that I can tell.

There's some other difference that I'm not quite grokking.

-Philip