Using a DHCP server for two subnets

Matt Fahrner Matt.Fahrner at coat.com
Tue Jun 20 17:06:30 UTC 2006

Unfortunately if they share a single broadcast domain, that is, if one
subnet can hear the other subnet's broadcasts (which seems to be what
you're implying), then in my experience there is no way to hand out the
DHCP addresses cleanly on a per subnet basis.

The problem is DHCP requests are layer 2 broadcasts and do not contain
any IP network level information. Thus it's impossible to tell which of
the two subnets the DHCP broadcast request came from. Therefor you
couldn't know which pool to allocate from.

That's not to say you can't serve DHCP, you can, but the dynamic pool
has to be applied to one of the two networks only (or rather, if not,
you'll never be able to reliably predict which network pool a given
client is going to be allocated from). If you want this form, look into
the "shared-network" syntax.

You might get it to partially work doing one of the network with
hardcoded MAC to host relationships (or perhaps client identifier, I
can't remember all the options for keying). Still, there is no way to
cleanly dynamically allocate on both networks with some regularity.

If you are using VLANs, unless you have some hosts mixed on a hub, why
not just split them completely so they don't share broadcast domains?
Extra NIC cards are cheap or you could look into using VLANs straight
into your server, which Linux supports.

			- Matt

Elizabeth.Brosch at thomson.com wrote:
> Two subnets sharing the same wire and interface on the dhcp server.
> Well actually my dhcp server has one interface configured with a
> 10.225.248.x IP address.  I want to serve hosts on the 10.225.240.x
> subnet.
>
> The 248 and the 240 subnets are on the same vlan.
>
> Liz Brosch
> TSH System Services
> Philadelphia, PA  19104
> office:  (215) 823-6144
> cell:     (267) 784-9166

Matt Fahrner                                    2 South Park St.
Chief Systems Architect                         Willis House
Burlington Coat Factory Warehouse               Lebanon, N.H.  03766
Tel: (603) 448-4100 x5150                       USA
Fax: (603) 443-6190                             Matt.Fahrner at COAT.COM