%post script for swapfile (was: swapfile instead of swap partition?)

Robert Citek rwcitek at alum.calberkeley.org
Wed Mar 15 19:45:27 UTC 2006

On Mar 15, 2006, at 12:21 PM, Philip Rowlands wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Robert Citek wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to specify that the kickstart script should create
>> a swapfile instead of a swap partition?
>
> I don't believe anaconda (kickstart) has a way of doing this, but
> it would certainly be possible in a %post script.

Thanks, Chip and Phil.

I'm not that familiar with putting a script in %post.  In a "normal"
environment, the script would look something like this:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=1M size=100
mkswap /swapfile
echo -e "/swapfile\tswap\tswap\tdefaults\t0\t0" >> /etc/fstab

 From the docs[1] it looks as though this script will work as-is.  If
that's not the case, how would I need to modify that script so that
it will work in a %post section?  Also, what default interpreter is
being used to run the script: bash, sh, other?  The docs mention that
I can change it, but not what the default is, unless I overlooked it.

Again, thanks in advance for any pointers.

[1] http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-
guide/s1-kickstart2-options.html#S2-KICKSTART2-POSTINSTALLCONFIG

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute FLOSS
for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent