kickstart using raw disks as raid

Tracy R Reed treed at ultraviolet.org
Tue Nov 21 02:19:08 UTC 2006

I am setting up a Xen/AoE cluster. Completely diskless cpu nodes which
get their root from disk nodes via AoE (an ethernet based SAN) and then
fire up Xen domains which also get their disk from AoE. I have all of
this working so far with no RAID involved. Now I want to mirror the disk
used by the domain over two separate disk nodes.

When the kickstart fires up it sees that it has hda and hdb. I want to
mirror hda and hdb against each other without creating partitions and
then I will create logical volumes inside of the mirror device. But
kickstart expects me to create partitions and give them names to be used
when setting up the RAID. Any way around this?

The reason for doing this is because the machines which export the disk
via AoE to the cpu nodes are really just exporting their own local
logical volumes which appear as block devices to the xen domain thanks
to AoE. I can lvextend the size of the lv on the machine exporting the
block device which will become hda to the xen domain and the other
machine exporting the block device which will become hdb to the xen
domain. Then I do an aoe-revalidate and instantly the xen domain sees a
bigger physical volume in which I can expand my logical volumes. If I
create one big partition and mirror that I will have a problem because I
cannot change the size of a disk partition on the fly when I change the
size of the block device under the partition.

Any ideas?

--
Tracy R Reed                  http://ultraviolet.org
A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right