Problem with reading kickstart file from second dvdrom drive

Pat patchu1 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 12 22:27:36 UTC 2006

I created my own custom installation DVD where my
kickstart file is located in the root directory(/) of
the DVD. The DVD is a copy of the installation DVD so
it also contains all the RPMs, etc. The intended usage
is the users boots with this DVD, types "installme"
and the install carries out the installation based on
my kickstart file all off the DVD.

On the system I am installing to, the DVDROM is the
second(!) drive connected to the IDE controller, the
first drive is a CDRW.

Installation fails when it tries to read this
kickstart file from the install DVD. Note that I can
still do a manual installation fine from the DVD.
Reading the kickstart file is the only problem.

If I unplug the CDRW and configure the DVDROM as the
only drive, the kickstart installation from the DVD
works!

Does anyone have any guesses on what I have configured
incorrectly which is preventing it from working when I
install from the second drive? How can I change it so
this custom installation DVD would work whether the
DVDROM was the first device or second?

Details:
I require the user to type "installme" at the install
menu to follow my kickstart file. The relevant lines
from isolinux.cfg are:

label installme
  kernel vmlinuz
  append ks=cdrom:/my.cfg initrd=initrd.img
ramdisk_size=8192

On a failed kickstart installation (when DVDROM is the
second drive), I get sent to the media check screen.
The following is the output when I press Alt-F3 and
Alt-F4:

Alt-F3:

*getting kickstart file
*getting kickstart file from first CDROM
*getFileFromBlockDevice (hda,/my.cfg)
*failed to mount CD device hda
*failed to mount CD device hdb
*mntloop loop0 on /mnt/runtime as
/mnt/source/RedHat/base/stage2.img fd is 12
*Could not parse pvd

Alt-F4:
<6>cdrom: open failed
<7>ISO 9600 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3
<4>Unable to load NLS charset utf8
<4>Unable to load NLS charset utf8
<7>ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
<4>Unable to identify CD-ROM format
<4>VFC: can't find the ext2 filesystem on dev loop0

Thanks for any tips!