How to use kickstart when I have 2 network card

Elliston, Jack W CTR USA TRADOC Jack.Elliston at us.army.mil
Thu Apr 26 12:51:25 UTC 2007

For the initial pxeboot process you will need to know which NIC the
system recognizes.  However, for the kickstart file itself you could use
something like what I've done.

Using the pre-execution section you can create a couple of include files
which replace the actual section in the ks file.

This pre-ex section checks for the kind of HD as well as the NIC being
use.  In place of the "network...." entry you would use %include
/tmp/nic-include and in place of the HD partition info you use %include
/tmp/part-include

i.e.
%pre
#sleep 30s

#!/bin/sh

# Pre-installation determine if we have an ide drive or a scsi drive.
# Append hard drive partition commands to a file. This file is included
# above in the disk partitioning section for use during hard drive
partitioning.

found_ide_drive=false

# If the ide directory exists, loop through all "hd" entries looking for
"disk"
# in the media file. When a "disk" entry is first found set the install
drive to this
# this drive.
if [[ -d /proc/ide ]]
then
   cd /proc/ide
   for which_drive in `ls -d hd*`
   do
      if [[ `grep disk $which_drive/media` && $found_ide_drive != "true"
]]
      then
         drive=$which_drive
         found_ide_drive=true
      fi
   done
fi

# No ide hard drive was found so we must have scsi drive. Set the drive
to sda
if [[ $found_ide_drive = "false" ]]
then
   drive=sda
fi

echo "part /boot --fstype ext3 --size 100 --ondisk=$drive" >
/tmp/part-include
echo "part / --fstype ext3 --size 1 --ondisk=$drive --grow" >>
/tmp/part-include
echo "part swap --size 3072 --ondisk=$drive" >> /tmp/part-include

NIC=`ifconfig|grep eth|awk '{ print $1 }'`

echo "network --device $NIC --onboot yes --bootproto dhcp " >
/tmp/nic-include

Good luck.
Jack