How to use kickstart when I have 2 network card

Shabazian, Chip Chip.Shabazian at bankofamerica.com
Thu Apr 26 16:39:08 UTC 2007

We kickstart servers with multiple NIC's every day.  One thing you need
to be aware of is that RHEL 4 and 5 enumerate the bus differently than
RHEL 3, so a NIC that was eth0 in RHEL 3 may no longer be eth0 when
building the exact same machine with RHEL 4 or 5.  If the NIC's are on
the same bus, then the order doesn't change (such as with the dual
embedded NIC's on the HP DL servers), but if they are on different
busses (this happens to us when there is another NIC in a PCI slot in
addition to the embedded NICs), the order will be different in RHEL 3
than in RHEL 4 or 5.

ksdevice=mac_address will resolve this issue for retrieving your
kickstart file, but you will need to make sure that you have the right
ethX device in your kickstart file.

Chip Shabazian
VP ; Sr. Consultant - System Engineering
Bank of America
E&O OS Services -- Linux
e: chip.shabazian at bankofamerica.com
p: 925 692-7000