Installer chokes on system with existing Windows

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Thu Apr 26 20:46:28 UTC 2007

Hi all, trying to do a kickstart install onto a system which already
has Windows XP on it.  One drive with three 80GB partitions.  The
first two is NTFS and the last 80GB partition is unused.

The installer starts up fine, but as soon as I hit 'next' on the first
page to where the disk layout review page should be I get the following
error:

  Could not allocate requested partitions:

  Unsatisfied partition request
  New Part request -- mountpoint: None uniqueID: 6
    type: physical volume (LVM)  format: 1 badblocks: None
    device: None drive: ['sda'] primary: None
    size: 0 grow: 1 maxsize: None
    start: None  end: None  migrate: None  origfstype: None.

  Press 'OK' to reboot your system

I've tried combinations of autopart, zerombr and bootloader in my KS
file to no avail.  I don't want to use clearpart as it'll wipe out my
Windows partitions.

If I just do a regular non-KS install it doesn't hang here and I can
set up my partitions preserving my Windows ones.

Here is the relevant portion of the KS file I'm using:

  install
  nfs --server=10.49.6.46 --dir=/install/RHEL4/es/update4
  interactive
  lang en_US.UTF-8
  langsupport --default=en_US.UTF-8
  keyboard us
  xconfig --startxonboot --resolution=800x600 --depth 16 --defaultdesktop=GNOME
  %include /tmp/network.ks
  rootpw --iscrypted $1$SXuw6/KM$xmV2mmVR3g2HNBmENHuSR.
  firewall --disabled
  selinux --disabled
  firstboot --disable
  authconfig --enableshadow --enablemd5
  timezone America/Los_Angeles
  bootloader --location=mbr --append="rhgb quiet"

Any suggestions?

Ray