Using Kickstart to deploy Debian servers?

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Fri Aug 31 15:38:07 UTC 2007

Daniel Segall wrote:
> I feel dirty even asking this, but here it goes. I have been tasked
> with the unlucky job of setting up a deployment solution for Debian
> servers. I have an existing Kickstart server that I call via altiris
> (we mostly use blades). Does anyone know if there is a relatively easy
> way to create a kickstart config for Debian "etch"? I really don't
> want to setup FAI if I don't have to.
>
> Thanks,
> -Dan

Debian has it's own system of answer files that are different from
kickstart.

The kernel options change from "ks=blah" to "auto=true url=blah".

I'm told (user patch, haven't tested) it actually works with "cobbler
distro add" if you specify "--breed=debian", though you could just as
easily do this all yourself.

You may also want to look at FAI -- http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/

But yes, wrong list :)

--Michael