Couple of questions

Joe_Wulf Joe_Wulf at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 5 06:31:54 UTC 2007

Hello everyone,

When kickstarting, in text mode, eventually there is a pair of boxes which are
displayed; they are labeled  "Dynamic IP" and "Hostname".  This occurs after the
kernel images have been downloaded and booted.  I've two questions at this point:
-  Is "Dynamic IP"'s message about "Sending request for IP information for eth0"
soliciting DHCP or DNS for its answer?
-  Is "Hostname"''s message about "Determining host name and domain ..."
soliciting its information from DHCP or DNS?

Around this same time in the process, on VC4, I can see three entries that I'd
like to better understand.
- "bootp_gw_ip" has a value listed of 0.0.0.0
- "hwaddr:" is blank, with no value listed
- "servername: is blank, with no value listed
Any further insight for these would be nicely helpful, thank you.

One thing that is interesting, and frustrating, is while looking directly at VC4
during the boot process, the network information is displayed without any respect
to line breaks.  However, when I switch to that page once its information is
listed, it appears nice, normal and neat.  Easy to read.  Anything I can do to
get it to display nicely even when actively viewing it?

Another question is about the various outputs on the other VC's.  Is there any
method to control their output going to a text log file for subsequent review?
Should would be a nice troubleshooting aid.

Once a system has reached %post, I've been successful in echo'ing text progress
messages to /dev/console.  This shows me progress in all of the post processing I
do in a upfront visual method.  Only problem is that the messages would display
and the cursor will drop a line, but not begin at the left margin.  I've tried
various options with escaping tab and newline and carriage return types of
characters to have the text display at the beginning of the next line.  Any
suggestions on how to go about doing this in %post?
An example is like this:
text message1
                      text message 2
                                             test message 3