fedora 8 static ip not accepted

Matteo Faleschini matteo.faleschini at fisica.unimi.it
Fri Dec 14 12:02:56 UTC 2007

I'm having problems to use this option inside the kickstart file

network --bootproto=static --device=eth0 --gateway=192.168.1.254
--ip=192.168.1.1 --netmask=255.255.255.0 --onboot=on

with a nfs or http installation.

nfs --server ksbox.local.domain --dir /fedora/8.0/os

In our departement we use a templating system that we wrote  since
redhat 9 to fedora 6 (and scientific linux 4, a redhat derived) without
problems.

When I prepared the kickstart for the new fedora 8, I noticed that
anaconda (11.3.0.50) does not use the static ip information provided by
the kickstart and chooses a dhcp configuration.

To verify that it is not an error of our kickstart creator, I prepared a
kickstart file on a fedora 8 machine with the system-config-kickstart
script. But I found the same problem.
I also switched the network and nfs lines but i found no difference.

At first I thought about a new anaconda behaviour (nfs install uses only
dynamic configuration) but having a look at the source code of the
anaconda loader I have the impression that the network bootstrap follows
the same principles.

I searched through the mailing list for keywords bootproto and 11.3.0.50
with no success. I also googled about but i did not find any hint. I
don't know if it's a known anaconda issue or a syntax error of my kickstart.

Matteo Faleschini