kickstart w/o netconfig in RHEL5

jim Pharis binbrain at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 16:02:19 UTC 2007

Kickstarters,

We kickstart systems in a quarantined network. Once an
installation has completed, we move the system to its actual network,
and then run post-installation scripts to configure the actual network
and then cfengine the machine. We use a package called netconfig in
our post-installation scripts to move the system to its permanent
network just before we do the key exchange w/ our cfengine server.

netconfig appears to be long gone and removed from RHEL5. The
alternative tool appears to be system-configure-network-tui, but it has a
GUI and requires user interaction. We need a command line tool to
configure the network interface. Any suggestions for solving this. The only
alternative way I can think of would be to write post-installation
scripts by hand to edit
the ifcfg-eth files. Can anybody think of better process/tool?

TIA

--
- Jim Pharis