Sane default kickstarts that understand hard disk differences

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Jan 3 20:25:53 UTC 2007

Michael DeHaan wrote:
> Fellow Kickstarters,
>
> Cobbler (http://cobbler.et.redhat.com) ships some default kickstart
> files that it provides for users for setting up fully automated installs
> (users who do not want to write their own kickstarts).   I am trying to
> improve those default kickstarts.
>
> One of the things I want to do is ship a good default kickstart that, on
> the given system, does a reinstall of the OS using a sane partitioning
> layout, regardless of whether the boot drive is /dev/hda or /dev/sda,
> and regardless of size.   I don't want to assume IDE drives of a certain
> size, for instance.
> That wouldn't be good.   A much larger SCSI drive should be usable too,
> and should result in a larger "/" partition.
>
> Obviously this won't fit everyone's needs, but it is useful for
> basic/intermediate users.   Does anyone have any kickstarts that
> accomplish this?  I realize this is all documented to some extent,
> though if anyone can share some real life working fully automatic
> kickstarts that ignore drive size/type would be really great.

I used to do this sort of thing some years ago, back in the time of RHL
7.x. It was before ks supported include, and before someone mentioned
the idea of simply overwriting the ks file.

I used %pre to run a script and do the analysis, create the commands for
  the partitioning and run them piping hot into fdisk.

I always had ATA drives and always HDA; these days I'd consider looking
at /proc/partitions to see what exists. Or maybe run a shell so I can
look manually and see where Anaconda's creating drive entries today.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait