FC3 kickstart -> does not recognize cd

Jason Kohles email at jasonkohles.com
Wed Jan 24 16:32:45 UTC 2007

On Jan 23, 2007, at 6:01 PM, Mathew Rowley wrote:

> Im trying to create a FC3 kickstart DVD in FC6, yet, when I attempt to
> boot the CD, anaconda loads and says 'The Fedora Core CD was not found
> in any of your CDROM drives. Please insert the Fedora Core CD and
> press
> OK to retry.' I cant figure out what is going wrong... When I look in
> the console i get a few errors...
>
> <3>FAT: Bogus number of reserved sectors
> <6>VFS: Cant find a valid FAT filesystem on dev hdc
> <4>VFS: Cant find ext2 filesystem on dev hdc.
> <4>Unable to load NLS charset utf8
>
> I am attempting to boot this on a virtual machine. The only thing I
> can
> think is, since im using FC6, I have to use 'createrepo' instead of
> 'genhdlist'... Will that create this error?  This is exactly how i
> create the cd image.

The fact that you are building the CD on FC6 is irrelevant, to do an
install the FC3 version of anaconda is still going to require the
information that genhdlist gives you, which means you need to install
and run genhdlist.

> sudo cp nepenthes-ks.cfg FC3/isolinux/
>
> cd FC3
> sudo createrepo -g Fedora/base/comps.xml `pwd`
> cd ..
> sudo mkisofs -o nepenthes-ossim.iso -V 'FC/3 i386' -b
> isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot
> -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -r -R -T -J -joliet-long -l FC3
>

> Can anyone see anything that I could be doing wrong?

Well, you don't indicate what else you are putting on the CD, but you
could get this error if you left out the .discinfo file.

--
Jason Kohles
email at jasonkohles.com
http://www.jasonkohles.com/
"A witty saying proves nothing."  -- Voltaire