detecting i386 or x86_64 in kickstart

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Fri Jan 26 04:40:52 UTC 2007

On Thursday 25 January 2007 10:26, Jason Edgecombe wrote:
> I would like to have a unified kickstart file for both my i386 and
> x86_64 installs. So I have two questions:
>
> 1. Is there some way to detect whether the processor is 32/64 bit in a
> %pre script?
> 2. Will the 32-bt installer install the 64bit rpms if I point it at a
> 64bit install tree?

Well, you can't boot a 64bit kernel on a 32bit host, so are you always going
to be booting a 32bit kernel to do your kickstarts?  I'm not entirely sure
that will work, booting a 32bit kernel to do a 64bit install.

Now, if you are going to be picking different kernels, you know right away,
just by command line information, that you're on a 64bit or 32bit system.
You can easily peek at /proc/cmdline from %pre and decide all kinds of
things.

I setup a PXE menu system where somebody would select el4.32 or el4.64 to
launch a RHEL4 kickstart of a particular arch.  The actual append= in
pxelinux added some more words that I could then detect in a %pre statement
and generate some content for %include secions in my kickstart file.  My
kickstart stubs were very arch agnostic, partitioning was done dynamically,
package selection, post scripting, etc.. all detected from content
in /proc/cmdline in %pre.