detecting i386 or x86_64 in kickstart

Klaus Steden klaus.steden at thomson.net
Tue Jan 30 02:47:38 UTC 2007

> Klaus Steden wrote:
> >>Hello.
> >>
> >>I don't totally agree with this detection. Here we have several 64bits
> >>servers which are Intel(R) Xeon(TM) Maybe do we need to check about cpu
> >>flags.
> >>

> >You're right, with some architectures you would need to check both the
> >model name and number, and possibly the CPU family, but the point remains -
> >you can determine a lot about your system just by checking /proc/cpuinfo.
> >
> >Klaus
> >

> Unfortunately, after much searching, I can find no cpuinfo flags that  give
> info about 32/64 bit.

No, you won't - you'll have to evaluate the contents of /proc/cpuinfo and
examine the fields in detail ... it's not difficult, but it's not necessarily
obvious. What you're trying to I have done with Linux bootstrap code without
great difficulty since 2.4 ... but you'll have to look around for model codes
for CPUs that don't make the distinction obvious (i.e. some Xeon chips).

Klaus