How-to info needed for multiple instances of RH OS's and multiple unique versions {to be kickstarted}

David Mackintosh redhat-list at xdroop.com
Sun Jul 1 13:04:14 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 01:45:00AM -0400, Joe_Wulf wrote:

> My question is this:
> How do I dynamically build OS-specific kickstart anaconda-ks.cfg files for EACH
> of them without having to waste
> tons of hours manually installing each one simply to get that one file out of
> it???

My method for handling this was to install the oldest one I could and then built
a "generic" ks.cfg that could be quickly modified through a perl script or something.
In my case all I have to change is the line which tells the installer where
the source is:

nfs --server $myserver --dir /export/kickstart/$REV

This has worked for me -- I have basically carried the same ks.cfg
file forward from a RedHat 8.0 installation, although I understand it
won't work for RHEL 5.x since the @Everything package group has been
removed.  (Boo!)

The second thing I did was to set up cobbler (http://cobbler.et.redhat.com/)
which simplified a PXE-boot environment.  The version I installed
required that I built my own interactive menu to select the PXE
profile to install, but I understand that later versions include this
functionality.

I have successfully PXE installed (currently... eight?) different
versions of RedHat using this method, both real machines and VMware
systems.

--
 /\oo/\
/ /()\ \ David Mackintosh |