Fedora 7 Kickstart / Stage2 Issue

David Hageman dhageman at eecs.ku.edu
Tue Jul 31 19:34:56 UTC 2007

I have been using kickstart to setup our computer labs for the last
several releases of Fedora.  I thought while I had some time, that I would
implement a cobbler setup and roll out Fedora 7.

I am running into an issue with kickstarting Fedora 7.

I use the boot.iso to create a bootable CD which from the command line
type in my kickstart command:  ks=http://<pathtoks.cfg>

Anaconda starts up, grabs an IP address, grabs the kickstart file and at
this point attempts to re-initialize the interface using DHCP.  The system
queries via DHCP several times before it gives up and attempts to retrieve
stage2 which fails ...

I am at a loss because I watch the DHCP server logs and it sees all the
queries and responds to each one.  It is like anaconda is ignoring the

I have looked at the mailing list for previous problems and solutions and
have even set portfast on the port in question, but it failed to help me.

I have also set various other options such as noipv6 ksdevice=link
loglevel=debug without any success.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

David Hageman                 Linux/Network Administrator
University of Kansas
3042 Eaton Hall
(785) 864.3923                dhageman at eecs.ku.edu