Repack a FC7 install to include an unsupported controller

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Jun 28 23:17:13 UTC 2007

Alessio Focardi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we normally use a kickstarted FC7 installation to install customers
> servers,
> recently we tried this method with a "mini pc" that has a VIA chipset (VIA
> CX700M) that doesn't seem to be supported: no hard disk is detected while
> installing.
>
> I suppose that the initrd of the install ISO should be updated, but it's
> not
> clear to me how this can be accomplished.

I've never needed to do such, but I'd have thought that if Fedora 7
(note it-s _not_ Fedora Core) is going to run on it without extra
drivers then it would install without this problem.

It might just be that some fiddling with PCI tables to match driver with
  chipset is required.

I suggest getting to VC2 when the install fails and try using modprobe
to install likely drivers.

via82cxxx is a candidate.

You should, of course, confirm that the IDE controllers are actually
turned on in the BIOS.

You might also try the latest Knoppix CD: it seems to run on pretty much
any x86 hardware.

And also the latest Fedora development (aka rawhide) install media.

> Particullary my first question is about what's actually included in the
> standard initrd so I can generate a new one with the same stuff plus the
> VIA
> driver.

There's a fair bit out about inspecting the initrd. Google knows.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait