kernel parameters

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Mar 7 14:23:35 UTC 2007

Mariani, Luca wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm upgrading a bootable CD which uses kickstart to automatically
> install REHL4 Upgrade3 and a subset of programs.
>
> The upgrade is needed by a new hardware that requests a special kernel
> parameter to boot the system (in particular the kernel parameter is
> 'pci=nommconf' and it should be needed to use the Smart Array
> Controller)
>
> I've been able to add this parameter in kickstart config file and now
> the boot is working fine (I'm using GRUB as bootloader), but I must type
> the kernel parameter by hand at installation prompt...
>

> Is there a way to configure kickstart (or something else) in order to
> autamatically pass this kernel parameter to installation process too?

I'd do a simple edit in %pre - if you wish, you can simply replace the
menu, though I'm generally a little more conservative.

This has proven effective:

[ -f /boot/grub/grub.conf.orig ] \
	|| cp -p /boot/grub/grub.conf /boot/grub/grub.conf.orig
cat <<. >/boot/grub/menu.extra
title Reinstall Interprise Linux
         root (hd0,0)
         kernel /boot/vmlinuz vga=6
         initrd /boot/initrd
title Kickstart Reinstall Interprise Linux ES (2.6.9-1.648_EL)
         root (hd0,0)
         kernel /boot/vmlinuz vga=6 ks=http://RHEL.demo.lan/ks/ks
         initrd /boot/initrd

# If this is yor last line, your email system's broken.
.

cat /boot/grub/grub.conf.orig \
	/boot/grub/menu.extra >/boot/grub/grub.conf
mv -vf /boot/grub/grub.conf.orig /boot/grub/menu.extra ~root

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait