Unable to get any http requests: Unable toretreive netstg2.imgfile

muksyed at stanford.edu muksyed at stanford.edu
Wed May 16 02:24:52 UTC 2007

Quoting John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org>:

> Mukarram Syed wrote:
>> John,
>> Sorry...just to make things clear.
>> eth0 works to get the dhcp/tftp request and eth1 does not.  However, I tried
>> using both is what I meant.
>>
>> We have a problem with dhcp, the networking folks here did not enable
>> "spanning tree" on the switch ports, until that happens I am using static
>> ip.   I double checked the syntax etc.
>
> I don't understand... pxelinux works and can load the kernel/initrd,
> and the kernel/initrd doesn't work. Is that what you said?

Sorry for the confusion John.

pxelinux works and it loads the vmlinuz and initrd.

> How does the BIOS know to load pxelinux, and where to get it? Doesn't
> that require dhcp (or at least bootp)?
>
> How does pxelinux get its menus and then the kernel? Doesn't that
> require dhcp (or at least bootp) too?
>
> And then the kernel/initrd can't get the IP address the same way. Have
> I got the facts straight?

Actually I have dhcpd configured for static IP address.  Not for a
range of IP addresses to pick from.  dhcpd is running.  After PXE
loads up the kernel, I think the installer anaconda uses dhcp to again
look for the ks.cfg file.  This is after the menu.  That's the part
which does not work.  That's why I put in the static IP's in my
default file under label 1.  Putting the static IP's don't work as well.

Thanks

-Mukarram.