RHEL5 kickstart needs to mount cdrom in postinst

Pat patchu1 at yahoo.com
Wed May 16 20:45:02 UTC 2007

Martin Steinmann wrote:
>>> Is there a similarly elegant way to add a driver
disk image?  I am
> still
>>> struggling embedding an additional RAID driver
into the boot CD. I
>>> suppose I need to update the initial initrd file
(using mkinitrd)
> and
>>> then tell Anaconda to load the driver image during
stage2. Can the
>>> driver disk image be placed somewhere into the
tree similar to the
>>> updates.img?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> Look for the driverdisk option at

https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-

manual/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-kickstart2-options.html

>> That option is in RHEL4 & 5 that I know of.
>
> Yes, I looked at this and tried several options. The
problem is that
> do not have a network during installation (no ftp,
http or nfs
> available) and therefore the driver disk image needs
to be in the
tree
> on the CD. Also, the HD is empty when I start.

I had to same thing awhile ago. It was beyond my
expertise to add a driver to initrd.img, although I
may give it another shot after reading Chris's steps.

What I ended up doing was putting the driver files
(modinfo, modules.cgz, etc.) in the root of my custom
install DVD, then I added the following line to my
kickstart file:

driverdisk hda --type=iso9660

The RAID drive should load automatically.

You'd be limited to the first CD/DVD drive using the
above call BTW. It's not the most elegant solution,
but it got me up and running.