Re: reading user input in %pre script no longer working

Ben Grommes <ben grommes visionshareinc com> spake thusly:

My kickstart script reads user input in the %pre scriptlet using the read
command.  This worked fine in CentOS 4.4, but in CentOS 4.5 it no longer works.
 It appears that the read command is not taking input from the console.

I'm doing a headless mode install (text option in ks.cfg).

Here is my %pre script:

%pre
install="no"
while [ "$install" != "yes" ]; do (
    echo -n "Proceed with install? "
    )>/dev/tty1
    read install
done

The output of the echo shows up on the screen, but the read command doesn't
accept any input from the keyboard.

Any suggestions for how to debug this would be appreciated.

Try explicitly redirecting stdin as well:

%pre
install="no"
while [ "$install" != "yes" ]; do
    ( echo -n "Proceed with install? " ) >/dev/tty1 </dev/tty1
    read install
done

--
  Regards,
  Steve

IT Support - UNIX/Linux                        Cadence Design Systems
                                               Bagshot Road
                                               Bracknell BERKSHIRE
                                               RG12 0PH   UK