Issues with kickstarting RHEL3 with Dell PE 1950

Mukarram Syed muksyed at stanford.edu
Wed Apr 30 05:41:00 UTC 2008

Hi,

Our Kickstart has been working fine with RHEL4 and EL4.no problems.

But today I added a RHEL3 menu and it's corresponding ks.cfg file.  This is
to test our legacy RHEL3 servers which are difficult to get rid of at this
time.  I could pxe boot and I get the menu.  I choose the correct option
(17) and it loads up the appropriate vmlinuz and initrd images, then loads
up anaconda and instead of getting the network it shows me the Language
menu.  I have about 16 other options for RHEL4 and EL4 and they all work
fine.  I have been troubleshooting this for almost 3 hours now and no luck.
Suggestions would be appreciated.

My take on this is that with RHEL4 it takes all the drivers for the PE1950,
for RHEL3 I don't think it contains all the drivers so it just does not load
them with anaconda.  Can anyone clarify this?

Here is my setup:

My /tftpboot/linux-install/pxelinux.cfg/default file:  Label 16 works but
Label 17 does not.

label 16

  kernel RHELAS32_U6/vmlinuz

  append nofb
ks=http://171.67.39.130/RHELAS32_U6/RedHat/ks_el32_u4_asia-muksyed.cfg
initrd=RHELAS32_U6/initrd.img ramdisk_size=10000 lang= devfs=nomount
ramdisk_size=9216 ksdevice=eth0 console=ttyS0,9600 ipappend 1

label 17

  kernel RHEL3/vmlinuz

  append nofb
ks=http://171.67.39.130/RHEL3/RedHat/ks_el32_u4_asia-muksyed.cfg
initrd=RHEL3/initrd.img ramdisk_size=10000 lang= devfs=nomount
ramdisk_size=9216 ksdevice=eth0 console=ttyS0,9600 ipappend 1

My /tftpboot/linux-install/msgs/boot.msg file (menu):

16.  Base (X Window) ASIA Install for Tripwire Server

17.  Base (X Window) RHEL3

My /var/www/html/RHEL3/RedHat/ ks_el32_u4_asia-muksyed.cfg file (ks.cfg
equivalent).  I could http to:  http://171.67.39.130/RHEL3

#System  language

lang en_US

#Language modules to install

langsupport en_US

#System keyboard

keyboard us

#System mouse

mouse

#Sytem timezone

timezone America/Los_Angeles

#Root password

rootpw welcome

#Reboot after installation

reboot

#Install OS instead of upgrade

install

#Use Web installation

url --url http://171.67.39.130/RHEL3

#System bootloader configuration

bootloader --location=mbr

#Clear the Master Boot Record

zerombr yes

#Partition clearing information

clearpart --all --initlabel

#Disk partitioning information

part /boot --fstype ext3 --size 100 --asprimary

part / --fstype ext3 --size 6000 --asprimary

part swap --recommended --asprimary

part /tmp --fstype ext3 --size 2000

part /opt --fstype ext3 --size 3000 --grow

#System authorization infomation

auth  --useshadow  --enablemd5

#Network information

network --bootproto=dhcp --device=eth0

#Firewall configuration

firewall --disabled

#SELinux configuration

selinux --disabled

#Do not configure XWindows

skipx

#Package install information

%packages --resolvedeps

@ base-x

# OEM Agent and Oracle Client Requirements:

binutils

compat-db

compat-libstdc++-296

libaio