Strange error when changing ksdevice

Gerrard Geldenhuis Gerrard.Geldenhuis at datacash.com
Wed Apr 30 16:40:24 UTC 2008

Hi

I have some old IBM hardware which I must get working nicely with out
Satellite system.

The first problem is that is switches the onboard and pci network cards
around. Thus the onboard cards become eth2 and eth3 instead of eth0 and
eth1. That can be overcome by specifying ksdevice=eth2. However I don't
want to do that because that would break the install for the HP hardware
which is specified as ksdevice=eth0.

I thought specifying ksdevice=eth0 would not be a problem because when
the server boots it would pxe boot via the onboard card where the pxe
boot entry would tell it: ksdevice=eth0 which would then cause it to do
the rest via eth0 which is the added pci card. This works and it
downloads the kickstart file but it fails when trying to partition the
server. I get the following error:

Volume group defined without any physical volumes. Either specify
physical volumes or use --useexisting.

I find it really bizarre because why would ksdevice=eth0 vs
ksdevice=eth2 cause a partition failure?

Regards