Disk controller detection order

Christopher Mocock chris at wavestore.com
Mon Aug 4 14:41:17 UTC 2008

Hi,

Using revisor, I've composed a respin which uses my custom kernel
package. Most of the systems I'm installing to have an IDE drive of
40-80GB and a bunch of SATA disks, either directly connected to the
motherboard or via a 3Ware RAID card.

My kickstart has something like the following:

zerombr
clearpart --all --drives=sda
part /var/log --fstype ext3 --size=120 --ondisk=sda
part / --fstype ext3 --size=10000 --ondisk=sda
part swap --size=128 --grow --maxsize=256 --ondisk=sda

So everything should get installed to sda, which I would hope would
always be the first IDE disk. However, I'm finding that if I install to
a system which has a 3Ware RAID card, the OS gets installed to the first
SATA disk on the 3Ware. The %post script in my custom kernel rpms finds
the UUID of /dev/sda1 by running /lib/udev/vol_id -u /dev/sda1 and then
puts it as the root= parameter in grub.conf.
When I then try to boot from my new installation, the system boots from
the IDE disk, since that is configured as the first boot device in BIOS.

Any ideas as to how I can reliably persuade anaconda that /dev/sda is
the primary master IDE device rather than picking up the 3Ware SATA
drives first?

I noticed there's a --onbiosdisk option, but the docs don't make clear
what this parameter should be.

Thanks,

--
Chris