Disk controller detection order

Terry Black terryb at gg.specsavers.com
Mon Aug 4 15:35:26 UTC 2008

IDE drives should be hda not sda?
Terry

----- Original Message -----
From: Christopher Mocock <chris at wavestore.com>
Sent: Mon, 4/8/2008 15:41
To: kickstart-list at redhat.com
Subject: Disk controller detection order

Hi,

Using revisor, I've composed a respin which uses my custom kernel
package. Most of the systems I'm installing to have an IDE drive of
40-80GB and a bunch of SATA disks, either directly connected to the
motherboard or via a 3Ware RAID card.

My kickstart has something like the following:

zerombr
clearpart --all --drives=sda
part /var/log --fstype ext3 --size=120 --ondisk=sda
part / --fstype ext3 --size=10000 --ondisk=sda
part swap --size=128 --grow --maxsize=256 --ondisk=sda

So everything should get installed to sda, which I would hope would
always be the first IDE disk. However, I'm finding that if I install to
a system which has a 3Ware RAID card, the OS gets installed to the first
SATA disk on the 3Ware. The %post script in my custom kernel rpms finds
the UUID of /dev/sda1 by running /lib/udev/vol_id -u /dev/sda1 and then
puts it as the root= parameter in grub.conf.
When I then try to boot from my new installation, the system boots from
the IDE disk, since that is configured as the first boot device in BIOS.

Any ideas as to how I can reliably persuade anaconda that /dev/sda is
the primary master IDE device rather than picking up the 3Ware SATA
drives first?

I noticed there's a --onbiosdisk option, but the docs don't make clear
what this parameter should be.

Thanks,

--
Chris

information intended only for the addressee. If you have received
this message in error you must not disseminate, copy or take action
on it; please notify postmaster at specsavers.com Opinions expressed
in this message are those of the sender and do not necessarily
represent those of Specsavers. Although this e-mail and any
attachments are believed to be virus free, e-mail communications
are not 100% secure and Specsavers makes no warranty that this
message is secure or virus free. All references to Specsavers mean
Specsavers Optical Group Limited or any member of the Specsavers
Group of Companies. Nothing in this transmission shall or shall be
deemed to constitute an offer or acceptance of an offer or
otherwise have the effect of forming a contract by electronic
communication. Your name and address may be stored to facilitate
communications.