Getting started

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed Feb 27 15:37:10 UTC 2008

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Michael DeHaan wrote:
>> Rudi Ahlers wrote:

>>> That's a good tip, but for people who don't have X installed (for
>>> example setting up servers), the GUI based kickstart config tool
>>> won't work. I also had to go through this exercise but soon found a
>>> lot of sites on the net with good sample kickstart files. One thing
>>> I want to add though. If it's possible, setup sometimes like XEN /
>>> VMWare / Virtualbox / QMU / etc to test the CD ISO. It's a pain in
>>> the neck to first create the CD ISO with makeisofs, then burn it to
>>> CD, and then putting it into my test machine to test it.
>>
>> True!   You can of course run system-config-kickstart on any box
>> though, so as long as you have at least one Linux box running X, you
>> can use that :)
>>
>> With respect to the other suggestions, cobbler happens to both make
>> installing Xen/KVM very easy for repeated installs as you tweak
>> kickstarts and also includes sample base kickstarts :)
>>
>> --Michael

> Does it? I tried using the Fedora Core 7 kickstart GUI, but the
> package listing was different, so I didn't want to add / remove stuff
> which CentOS didn't have
>
> Kind Regards
> Rudi Ahlers

It's close enough.   Just do a base package-set and add what you need later.

The main change in kickstart between versions is the addition of being
able to use yum repos at install time -- which is availabe in FC6/F7
(which is "Fedora 7" no longer "Fedora Core", BTW) and later, and
therefore not in EL4.