cmdline ignored

Rodney Mercer rmercer at harris.com
Thu Jul 10 17:16:27 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 19:47 -0400, kickstart-list-request at redhat.com
wrote:
>                                  From:
>         Amos Shapira
>         <amos.shapira at gmail.com>
>                                    To:
>         Discussion list about Kickstart
>         <kickstart-list at redhat.com>
>         Re: cmdline ignored
>                                  Date:
>         Thu, 10 Jul 2008 09:18:06 +1000
>         (Wed, 19:18 EDT)
>
>         2008/7/10 Klaus Steden <klaus.steden at thomson.net>:
>         >
>         > The usual advice is to stuff a 'sleep 9999999' in there
>         somewhere and check
>         > things out on tty2, the virtual console that gets enabled
>         after Kickstart
>         > begins.
>
>         Thanks for the advice, but:
>
>         1. I don't know how to switch to a different vc in a Xen guest
>         consolse ("xm con ..."). I tried looking around the xen forums
>         for an
>         answer (because the Anaconda docs mention something about each
>         vc
>         having all sorts of output sent to it) but as far as I can
>         tell even
>         "chvt" doesn't work.
>
>         2. This "sleep 99999999" (or actually my favourite for
>         indefinite
>         pause(2) is "perl -e sleep") isn't something I can put
>         permanently as
>         part of the automatic unattended setup but only during
>         debug/dev. I'd
>         much prefer something that I can use all the time and keep the
>         install
>         unattended and if something goes wrong in a non-dev situation
>         then I
>         can see the output.
>
>         Cheers,
>
>         --Amos

Amos,

I was in the process of creating a cd install of Centos 5.1 and picked
up a trick from this mail list to get user input on install using chvt
in the %pre script section. As you say, it may not work on a Xen host
install, but might be worth looking at? Maybe you could just gather info
in the %pre script section like I show below with the installnet file
and copy to the /mnt/sysimage in the %post --nochroot section?

Rodney.

--

install
cmdline
lang en_US.UTF-8
keyboard us
%include /tmp/buildnet
xconfig --resolution 1280x1024 --depth 24 --defaultdesktop=GNOME
--startxonboot
rootpw --iscrypted abcdefghijklmnop
authconfig --enableshadow --enablemd5
firewall --disabled
selinux --disabled
timezone America/New_York
reboot
zerombr yes
bootloader --location=mbr

clearpart --all
part /boot --fstype ext3 --size=150 --asprimary
part / --fstype ext3 --size=3000 --asprimary
part swap --recommended
part pv.00 --size=1 --grow

volgroup vg00 pv.00
logvol /var --name=var --vgname=vg00 --fstype ext3 --size=2000
logvol /usr1 --name=usr1 --vgname=vg00 --fstype ext3 --size=1 --grow

services --enabled rsh,rlogin,telnet,nfs,cups-lpd,vsftpd
services --disabled
auditd,bluetooth,ip6tables,time,ntpd,sendmail,apmd,iptables,pcmcia,smartd,rhnsd,yum-updatesd,pcscd,avahi-daemon,setroubleshoot,restorecond,networker,mdmonitor,irqbalance,hplip,hidd

%pre
# setup the network interface to use static ip
chvt 3
exec < /dev/tty3 > /dev/tty3
echo "--Static Network Configuration--"
echo "Please enter hostname for this machine, IE: myhost"
read HOSTNAME
echo "Please enter ip address for this machine, IE: 192.168.0.100"
read IPADDR
echo "Please enter subnet mask for this machine, IE: 255.255.255.0"
read NETMASK
echo "Please enter gateway address for this machine, IE: 192.168.0.1"
read GATEWAY
chvt 1
exec < /dev/tty1 > /dev/tty1

cat << EOF > /tmp/buildnet
network --device eth0 --bootproto static --ip=$IPADDR --netmask=$NETMASK
--gateway=$GATEWAY --hostname=$HOSTNAME --noipv6
EOF

cat << EOF > /tmp/installnet
ip=$IPADDR
netmask=$NETMASK
gateway=$GATEWAY
host=$HOSTNAME
EOF

%packages
@admin-tools
@base
@base-x
@core
@development-tools
@editors
@ftp-server
@gnome-desktop
@gnome-software-development
@graphical-internet
@legacy-network-server
@sound-and-video
@system-tools
@x-software-development

%post --nochroot

cp /tmp/installnet /mnt/sysimage/tmp/installnet