mixing RHEL 4.0 and 4.6 boot

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sat Jul 12 08:54:46 UTC 2008

Al Alder wrote:
> We have an HP Proliant server.  This server has SATA drives.  We are
> required by our customer to install
> RHEL 4.0.  The kickstart that we use is done via PXE boot.  The 4.0 does not
> have the driver for the SATA drives.
> RHEL 4.6 does have the drive.  Will replacing the kickstart 4.0 pxelinux.0
> on the kickstart machine with the 4.6
> pxelinux.0 cause the server to boot with the right driver and then continue
> to install 4.0?

I would start by asking the customer why they want out-of-date,
unsupported software with known security problems (and feel free to
check the errata for something that might make them nervous) instead of
software that is supported properly, with known security problems fixed
and that has binary compatibility with RHEL 4.0.

If they persist, I might even ask for a signed document to that effect:-)

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait