Best practices for partitioning hdds?

Pablo Iranzo Gómez Pablo.Iranzo at redhat.com
Fri Mar 7 21:18:59 UTC 2008

	Hi
	I'm trying to setup a ks profile which must work for both new and
"used" hard drives.

	The idea is to have one layout that could be deployed on
"non-compliant" disks, and to keep the one existing on "compliant" ones.

	My way to workarround this could be:

	Examine sfdisk -l /dev/firstharddrive
	If part order and types are "compliant", then keep them, and write
a /tmp/partinfo with "--onpart".

	This second option could arise problems I've encountered (not
tested on RHEL/CentOS 5.1) regarding having an already defined VG with
LV's I don't want anymore as I'm reinstalling. (Which I could bypass
zeroing the LVM partition)

	If not, write a new layout to /tmp/partinfo and include it.

	Have you dealt with this in the past? something you could provide
about what to do and what to avoid?

	Regards
	Pablo

--
Pablo Iranzo Gómez
(http://Alufis35.uv.es/~iranzo/)

Si se encuentra bien, no se preocupe. Se le pasará