problem with the module bnx2

Robert Lazzurs rob at lazzurs.net
Mon May 5 11:24:41 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 4:28 PM, Wilson Felipe <wfelipe at gmail.com> wrote:
> hello,
>
>  We are starting to install redhat 5.1 and centos 5.1 in our
>  environment, and it all went well until we tried with Dell machines
>  (PE1950 and 860), which have network cards using bnx2 (using MSI). The
>  problem is at the bnx2 module, we found out 2 way:
>
>  - using dhcp at pxe and at the boot:
>  the kernel and the initrd loads from pxe boot, and stops at
>  downloading the ks file, though it gets the ip from the dhcp, but the
>  network link is never put up, but in messages it prints "the link
>  becomes ready"
>
>  - using dhcp at pxe, and static ip at the boot
>  the kernel and the initrd loads from pxe boot, and also stops at
>  download the ks file, but after a few seconds, the links becomes ready
>  and we can get the ks file and the installation goes all well
>
>  has anyone seen this behavior using bnx2?

I have seen similar behavour with some of the HP DL360's.  I found
that updating the bnx2 driver to the latest version from the broadcom
site resolved this issue.

I also filed a bug asking RedHat to upgrade the version of the driver,
which is quite behind.

If required I am sure I can pass you the default initrd.img with the
updated driver.

Kind regards.