Setting up a non standard environment

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu May 22 00:32:45 UTC 2008

Matt Milliss wrote:
> I'm using a kickstart script to install fedora 8 with gnome on all desktops in my organisation. There are 2 things I would like to automatically setup but don't quite know how. We have many applications and I would like to add launchers to the top panel for these applications, at the moment I do this manually but would like to find out if there is a way to have this happen automatically, possibly using skel or something similar. I'd also like to change the default behaviour of the file browser (nautilus?) without having to manually perform the steps for every install. Is there a way that this can be done? Any help would be greatly appreciated as it would save me lots of time.

Please, people, don't post in HTML.

Some folk can't easily read it.

Some folk don't like it because it adds bulk to email and takes longer
to download and adds to their internetting costs.

Some email clients don't handle it well, and I'm including Seamonkey and
Thunderbird in this. I was going to offer some advice regarding this
question, but when I hit "reply" I find the entire paragraph is quoted
on a single line, so I can't easily see what I'm talking about.

The most widely acclaimed guidelines I've seen say "plain text, line
breaks at about column 73." Properly configured, popular email clients
can do this automatically.

Here are some useful links.

Note that top-posting, advocated here, will irritate some people
substantially:
http://www1.umn.edu/umcf/resource/emailguide.html

http://kb.iu.edu/data/aemp.html

http://www.liv.ac.uk/csd/email/emailuse.htm

http://www.businessseek.biz/article-directory/article-81.html

This article comprises several documents.
http://www.extension.umn.edu/miv/curriculum/emmenu.html

Formatting Is Not Everything!
http://www.iwillfollow.com/

http://www.netmanners.com/email-etiquette-articles.html