Suggestions for a better kickstart infrastructure

Mukarram Syed muksyed at stanford.edu
Thu Oct 16 20:28:57 UTC 2008

Hi

We would like to upgrade our Kickstart infrastructure to make it better and
I am looking for some suggestions.

What we have is a menu based Kickstart infrastructure on running Oracle
Enterprise Linux 4 (EL4), where you have the boot.msg file and the
corresponding default file all installed from the system-config-netboot rpm.
Then I have the tftp server, the webserver serving the ks.cfg files, RPM's
etc.

And then I have the post install script that run in the %post section of the
ks.cfg file which mounts the NFS partitions where I have all my post-install
scripts and files.

We have been using this Kickstart infrastructure for about a year and a half
now and it's been serving our purpose, but the menus have become a lot
larger than it was and now when I pxeboot the client the menu scrolls off
the screen and there is no way to do a page-up/page-down to see what's on
top/bottom.

We have tried to trim down the menu but now since our infrastructure has
gotten a lot larger it's difficult.  Then when we want to have both EL4 and
EL5 it would be difficult as well.

I have heard of "cobbler" but I would like some suggestions as to which is
the best alternative to this menu based Kickstart that I am using here.

Also this Kickstart infrastructure that I have here seems to be a basic one
and we are ready to explore some advanced methods of Kickstarting our
servers

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

# mukarram