initiating kickstart install from fc9 media

Richard fc9 at prosentia.co.uk
Wed Sep 24 10:34:52 UTC 2008

Hi John,

john> I-m _sure_ that's what I did years ago, say RHL 7.x or so.

I don't think so.  I never used RHL 7.x but RHL 5.2, 6, 9 and Fedora up
to 4 (the most recent one I used before Fedora 9) all (by default) pause
at a "boot:" prompt during the boot sequence from the standard media. At
that boot: prompt you can directly enter:
    linux ks=http://ksserver.example.com/ks.cfg ksdevice=eth0

The Fedora 9 install process goes straight passed the 'old' boot: prompt
and doesn't pause until it gets to the "Welcome to Fedora 9" menu?
There is an option to edit one of the menu options (by hitting TAB) but
when you do so you are NOT dropped to the boot prompt and have to enter
a subtly different command line.

However, you CAN get back to the boot prompt on Fedora 9 from this menu.
To do so, you simply hit ESCAPE (as stated in Jeroen's answer
https://www.redhat.com/archives/kickstart-list/2008-September/msg00011.html).
It would be nice if this was on the screen next to the prompt to "hit
TAB to edit".

Thanks again for your advice.

Cheers,

Richard