tar.gz installation

Bryan J Smith bjs at redhat.com
Sat May 23 18:15:13 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-05-23 at 15:07 -0300, Pablo Bernasconi wrote:
> So I have to do an rpm with the tar.gz inside, but the only thing that
> the rpm has to do is to uncompress the tar.gz to a local directory,
>  and then in the post script I do:
> ./configure
> make
> make install
> etc
> ????
> This is the "nice" way??

No, that was the #2 I was talking about, and it's not recommended.

Instead, do #1 -- build a real RPM.

Alternatively, #3, just have the %post download from a URL via curl, but
this is not RPM.

A SPEC file has source, configure and build sections and it what is used
to create RPMs -- both a source RPM and usable, binary RPMs.

Dude, here's the deal -- what is the program?  It may already have a
SPEC file out at RPMForge.

--
Bryan J Smith     Senior Consultant    Red Hat GPS SE US
mailto:bjs at redhat.com         +1 (407) 489-7013 (Mobile)