Kickstart-list Digest, Vol 79, Issue 11

whitivery co55-sy1t at dea.spamcon.org
Sat Oct 2 07:32:58 UTC 2010

Chris Lumens <clumens at redhat.com> wrote:

>> I'm just surprised that almost 5 years later, it's still not in RHEL!
>
>Not five years:

Sorry, you are right, it was only Spring 2008 when I first ran into %end -
seemed longer ago.

>Keep in mind that we have to keep compatibility in RHEL for a very long time

I see - didn't realize there were incompatibility concerns, since the
places that mentioned it said it was still optional.

>> It doesn't help that Anaconda doesn't plainly show its version ID
>>
>anaconda currently prints its version number in the startup messages:

I can see no startup message with the version number, unless it's one that
flashes by in the early screens.  The only user-level place it says
anaconda is at the bottom of a blue screen just before saying the video
card it found, and I don't think it says the version there.

>In the log files:

There is no version number in the kickstart /tmp/anaconda.log, nor in the
files placed in the target's root: anaconda-ks.cfg, install.log, and
install.log.syslog.

>And in tracebacks:

That's good but hopefully I'm not generating errors to cause a traceback.

>In addition, given any kickstart file, ksvalidator (from the pykickstart
>package) can tell you whether it's syntactically correct for any version
>of RHEL or Fedora, back as far as RHEL3.

That's good to know, I'll use that when I'm changing the kickstart file as
a quick check.