Mapping from old package names to new

Allison Roth Allison.Roth at cmgl.ca
Tue Apr 12 17:05:06 UTC 2011

> During my initial tests of EL6, I found that some old package names being used in EL4 were provided in EL5 (like mlocate / slocate) but the newer name was the only valid on EL6 so it went so smooth. If
> you don't want it to bomb, you can use "%packages --ignoremissing" so the missing ones don't break your kickstart.

It's not just a matter of it not bombing, though, it's that we want that configuration (those specific packages installed, not installed, etc...).  Just ignoring the lines won't achieve that, as much as I might wish it.  ;-)

> Have a look at yum grouplist yo see the new names for some groups or you can even ask for specific packages.

I've looked at the group list, but that doesn't necessarily tell me anything - as in my original example, I don't know which of those package names now contains the development libraries, or various other things I'm looking for.

> Another trick is to create an empty rpm which triggers dependencies to some files for example "/usr/bin/gcc" this is slower, but can do the trick for some files that have changed the package where they were

This sounds interesting, but I'm not quite sure I'm clear on it.  Can you elaborate a bit?  Thanks!

-Allison