Entire disk in PV...

Cris Rhea crhea at mayo.edu
Thu Apr 28 16:26:42 UTC 2011

> From: "Speagle, Andy" <andy.speagle at wichita.edu>
>
> I'm trying to setup the partitioning section of my kickstarts in such a way that rather than partitioning a disk and using /dev/sdX1 as the PV for my root VG, that I can instead use the entire disk.
>
> The reason for doing this would be to make PV resizing a bit easier for virtual machines.  Otherwise, I must muck around with the partition table and blah blah ... not a show-stopper, but potentially dangerous for junior admins.
>
> I suspect that the functionality just isn't there... but does anyone know the magic syntax to get it to use the entire drive (aka. /dev/sdb) as a PV during kickstart?

I think you could easily do this in the "pre" section (I handle all
partitioning of my disks in the "pre" section).

One of the things to consider is that by having a single partition
covering the entire disk, you may be helping junior admins. The partition
would be labeled as "Used by LVM", where the "whole disk" doesn't give
clues if it's used or not (looks like an extra/free disk).

My $0.02.

--- Cris

--
 Cristopher J. Rhea
 Mayo Clinic - Research Computing Facility